How to measure your room for your carpet or vinyl
Carpets generally come in widths of 4 or 5 meters (13 or 16 ft). Vinyls generally come in 2, 3 and 4 meter widths (6.5, 9.8, 13 ft).
Input your measurements into our site and we will calculate the size you need.
- Measure the longest part of the room - length. Go right into the door way to ensure there is enough carpet or vinyl to go into the doorway and underneath a door plate.
- Measure the widest part of the room - width - again if there are any doors, measure right into the door as previous.
- Add at least 10 cm (4 inch) onto the width size and then also onto the length size, which will give you a little extra each end. This helps to provide some give for ease of fitting of the carpet or vinyl.
(You will need to select the most appropriate sized width of roll to meet the width size of your room.)
It is a good idea to draw the room out on a piece of paper. This helps to plan how much carpet or vinyl you need if you are doing several areas ie a lounge and a stairway in the same colour, style and pattern. For example, a room that has an alcove will provide a cut out of your carpet or vinyl. This cut out section may then be used to add to the meterage on a stairs carpet if you are replacing both floorings in the same flooring product.
For extra larger areas or open planned areas, seamless joins can be created to provide the look of one large piece of carpet or vinyl. A professional flooring fitter can do this for you or we have accessories available for DIY projects to help you achieve this, such as sealing tapes and glues.
carpets and vinyls are like wallpaper, they are produced in batches. One roll may very slightly differ in shade to the next roll depending on when the roll. The difference will only be very slight but it’s important to note.
Don't forget! It is important to ensure you have the following covered:
- Measure right into the doorways - the carpet needs to have enough to go right into the door and under any joining plates
- Add at least 10 cm / 4 inch onto each length and width - add that little extra for ease of fitting
- Don't forget your additional products such as underlay, gripper rods and glues and any door plates you may need.
Our website can help at checkout inform you how much you will need of additional flooring installation products. Underlay comes in bags of 15 square meters (49 ft). If you are installing the flooring yourself, order a few tins of adhesive glue spray just in case. You don’t want to be in the middle of fitting and run out!
If you've booked one of our fitters, you will still need to order your flooring installation products.
Still no wiser? Drop us an email at email@example.com
or give us a call and we will help.